Science Lab Safety Contract
Mrs. Embry- 7th Grade Science
In the classroom
- Read ALL directions. Make sure you understand the directions.
- Listen to your teacher for special safety directions. If you do not understand something, ask for help.
- Wear safety goggles when your teacher tells you to wear them. Wear them when working with anything that can fly into your eyes or when working with liquids.
- Wear a safety apron when you work with anything messy or anything that might spill.
- Wipe up a spill right away or ask your teacher for help.
- Tell your teacher is something breaks. If glass breaks, DO NOT clean it up yourself.
- Keep your hair and clothes away from open flames. Tie back long hair and roll up long sleeves.
- Be careful around a hot plate. Know when it is on and when it is off. Remember that the plate stays hot for a few minutes after it’s turned off.
- Keep your hands dry around electrical equipment.
- Don’t eat or drink anything during an experiment.
- Dispose of things the way your teacher tells you to.
- Clean up your work area after an activity and wash your hands with soap and water.
In the field
- Go with a trusted adult—such as your teacher or a parent or guardian.
- Do not touch animals or plants without an adult’s approval. The animal might bite. The plant might be poison ivy.
- Treat living things, the environment, and one another with respect.
I have reviewed these safety rules with my teacher and my parent/guardian. I agree to follow these rules and any additional instructions, written or verbal, given by the school and/or teacher.
Student’s Signature Date
Parent’s Signature Date
Teacher’s Signature Date